Get to know Guitiriz


The City Council of Guitiriz belongs to Lugo and the region of Terra Chá. This thermal town, 249km long, delimits with the municipalities of Xermade, Vilalba, Begonte, Friol (Lugo) and Sobrado, Curtis-Teixeiro, Aranga and Monfero (A Coruña).

Guitiriz has more than 5.000 inhabitants and is divided into 18 parishes with a great Hitorical- Cultural Heritage.

Guitiriz, the land of water and stone, is also considered a thermal town. The fountains of Pardiñas, Guitiriz and Parga are famous for their medicinal waters; good for liver aliments, kidneys, skin infections and digestive disorders. Many people visit our town to enjoy them and the natural environment in which they´re located.

And since we know that heart is conquered by the stomach, you can´t visit Guitiriz without tasting our gastronomy and above all, our corn cake.


Guitiriz was founded in the VI century, by the Swabian king Witerico; who baptises the town with his own name.

In 1822, Galicia was divided into 4 provinces and within the Judicial Party of Vilalba and as part of the province of Lugo, the municipalities of Parga and Lagostelle.

A few years later, a Royal Decree of July 23, 1835, established new municipalities and divided each of their parishes. The municipalities of Parga and Guitiriz were left with 12: Becín, Lagostelle, Mariz, As Negradas, Santa Cruz, Santo Estevo, Santa Leocaia, San Salvador, Roca, Trasparga, O Vilar, and Os Vilares.

Belonging to the Baamonde City Council were the parishes of Pígara, Sambreixo and Pedrafita. O Buriz and Labrada, part of the old province of Betanzos, were awarded to Vilalba.

In 1840 part of the municipalities of Galicia were abolished, and Parga and Guitiriz were unified into themselves, the Trasparga City Council, while the Baamonde City Council disappeared. This new City Council was assigned all the current parishes, except for Santa Mariña, which was created at the end of the 19th century.

In 1945, already based in the current town, the town hall was renamed Guitiriz.